Monday 23 July 2012

Summer Holidays

The summer holidays are here.  The past school year seems to have simply flown by and it doesn't seem possible that the long break is upon us once more.

I always slightly dread the summer holidays, to be honest; I like the fact that we don't have the daily mad rush to get to school and that my day isn't determined by school pick up times, but at the same time it is very daunting to have a whole six weeks stretching out in front of us with nothing in them.

Usually we go away for our family holiday in the summer break - I accept the higher prices as a trade off for breaking up the six weeks with a fortnight in the sun.  But not this year.  We decided to stay-cation and do some camping, which is quite possibly the worst decision ever, considering how bad the weather has been.  After the first three days of the hols were beautiful we looked at campsites for next weekend only to find that the wet weather is forecast to return with a vengeance.

So far, I've managed to arrange one thing to do every weekday of the holidays for the first fortnight - and thanks to the Council and School, these things have been either free or subsidised.  We have a trip to watch the Olympic football at the beginning of August and then I'm taking the boys to stay with my parents for a few days.  And then...... nothing. The free school/council-arranged activities peter out and we shall be left to our own devices.

Obviously, there is always the library, the swimming pool, the parks, the soft play areas and the stately homes with their large gardens.  And I'm sure we'll do the lot, many times over.   In the meanwhile, let me just have a look at last minute deals for a fortnight in Menorca.......

No comments:

Post a Comment